2022 Point-In-Time Homeless Count Released in Stanislaus County
The Stanislaus Community System of Care (CSOC) has released its 2022 Point-In-Time (PIT) Homeless Count.
The count identified 1,857 homeless persons in Stanislaus County, a more than 50% decrease from the snapshot survey taken in 2021. The tally was down by 1,070 people from last year when 2,927 homeless people were counted.
"This year we faced some challenges with the count," stated Jason Conway, Chair of the CSOC. "But the information we did receive will still help us develop important support services and housing for homeless individuals in our community."
The PIT count is an unduplicated count of sheltered and unsheltered people experiencing homelessness on a single night in January. The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires that communities conduct an annual count of people experiencing homelessness who are sheltered in emergency shelter, transitional housing, and Safe Havens on a single night.
Several factors contributed to the decrease in the PIT count.
- Last year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and health concerns, there was not a full unsheltered PIT Count with volunteers fanning out across communities to count the number of homeless individuals. HUD approved CSOC to use the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) as an alternative data strategy for the count. HMIS is a database used by homeless service providers to collect client-level data and data on the provision of homeless services.
- Fewer people were outside due to temperatures dipping below 35 degrees the morning of the count.
- There were scheduling challenges for volunteers when the PIT count was postponed from January to February due to COVID-19 Omicron variant health concerns.
- Less than 49% of the PIT volunteers assisted than initially registered in January. Many volunteers chose not to participate when the count was moved to late February.
- Homeless encampment sweeps were conducted before the unsheltered count occurred. Outreach and engagement teams were not able to locate homeless individuals on the day of the count.
For more information and highlights about the Stanislaus County 2022 PIT Homeless Count, please click here for the Executive Summary and the Data Summary.