Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find out if a lien has been filed against my property? How do I get it removed?

To determine if a lien has been filed against you, come into the Office of the Clerk Recorder or search the index using Online Services. The website will allow you to search the index. According to California State Law, documents can only be viewed in the Clerk Recorder office. You will be able to view the images of recorded documents involving your name to find out if a lien has been placed against you or if a recorded lien has been released.

Recorded documents cannot be removed from the Recorder system. Liens that have been satisfied are released by the party who placed the lien. The Recorder Office cannot release a lien placed against you. To have a lien released, you will need to contact the party who placed the lien against you.

Will the Recorder’s Office Help Me Prepare My Document?

The Recorder’s Office can only provide you with the recording requirements for a document. This office is prohibited by law from providing you with legal advice and / or preparing documents. We recommend that you contact a legal advisor or title company for assistance in preparing your document.

How do I find out how much a certain property sold for?

The Recorder’s Office does not keep a record of sale prices. Sale prices can be estimated from the amount of Documentary Transfer Tax shown on a Grant Deed. However, the Documentary Transfer Tax amount may not accurately reflect the true purchase price since Documentary Transfer Tax is not charged on assumed loan amounts.

What Types of Documents Can be Recorded?

Any document affecting title to real property that is authorized or required by law to be recorded. This includes, but is not limited to, Grant Deeds, Deeds of Trust, Mechanic’s Liens, Tax Liens, and Reconveyances. The recording requirements for documents are established by the codes for the State of California. Documents presented for recording must meet certain basic requirements and fees.

What happens to my document after it is recorded?

Since it is the responsibility of the Recorder’s Office to preserve these records, images of the original documents are placed on roll film for archival purposes. Once a roll of film is completed, it must be examined to make certain that all the images are clear and complete. If the images on a roll of film are acceptable, the original documents are returned to the address shown in the upper left corner of the document approximately four to six weeks after recording.

How do I Record a Document?

Documents are recorded during regular business hours and location.

For hours & location, refer to the County Clerk-Recorder homepage.

Documents must meet recording requirements. Refer to General information page.


Information About forms

Birth Death Marriage Forms

CEQA Forms

Fictitious Business Name Forms

Paraprofessional Registration Forms

Real Property Sales and Transfer