Skip to content
Slide Description

A Division of Environmental Resources

3800 Cornucopia Way
Suite C
Modesto, Ca 95358
Get Directions

Phone: (209) 525-6700

Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 4:30pm

Frequently Asked Questions


Roosters may be kept only on A-2 zoned parcels that ARE NOT part of the “urban transition” general plan. For more information, please contact the Planning Department at 209-525-6330.

All noise complaints related to animals should be referred to Stanislaus County Animal Services at 209-558-7387.

All dogs must be licensed per Stanislaus County 7.20.010. Cats and other common household pets do not have to be licensed in Stanislaus County.


Most fences cannot exceed three feet in any required front yard. For your specific requirements, please contact the Planning Department at 209-525-6330.

Fences cannot exceed eight feet without a permit issued by the County Building Department.

Fences can be constructed out of chain-link, wrought iron, wood panels, or other commonly used materials.

Encroachments on private property are not handled by Stanislaus County. If you feel that your neighbor has encroached onto your property, you may want to consider speaking with a civil litigation attorney.

Vacant Structures

No, at this time, Stanislaus County does not require any type of registration for vacant homes.

Yes, per Stanislaus County Code 2.93.050, all vacant structures must be secured in a such a way to prevent entrance from unauthorized persons.

For all fire-related concerns for overgrown weeds, please contact your local fire agency. Do not call 911 unless there is a fire emergency.

There are a number of ways that you can help keep trespassers off of your property. It is important to check on your property often and ensure that all entrances are secured. You can do this yourself or hire a property management company to do this for you. You can also fill out a No Trespass Authorization form from the Sheriff’s Office.

Junk, Garbage, and Refuse

Stanislaus County code defines junk to mean and include, but is not limited to, surplus materials, secondhand material, any damaged, discarded, obsolete, salvaged, scrapped, worn out, wrecked or dismantled object, thing or material composed in whole or part of asphalt, brick, carbon, cement, plastic or other synthetic substance, fibre, glass, metal, paper, plaster, plaster of Paris, rubber, wool, terra cotta, cotton, cloth, canvas, organic material or other substance requiring reconditioning or rebuilding in order to be used for its original purpose.

Most properties in Stanislaus County are required to maintain weekly garbage service. If your property is located in a mandatory zone, there are financial penalties for not maintaining garbage service satisfactorily. You may call Stanislaus County Solid Waste at 209-525-6700 to see if you are located in a mandatory service area.

Yes, to an extent. Stanislaus County Code does not allow for the keeping of junk on more than two hundred square feet of any parcel, unless the parcel is permitted as a junkyard.

Yes, Stanislaus County Code allows for the keeping of up to two non-operable or non-registered vehicles on your property.

No, junk cannot be stored behind a fence. Stanislaus County Code provides for a 200 square foot area to store junk, but putting it behind a fence does not exempt you from this requirement.


Yes, at this time, Stanislaus County does not have any ordinance preventing property owners from parking vehicles on their lawns.

Yes, anyone can park their vehicle on any part of the street. Streets are considered to be public property for this usage. However, vehicles may not be parked in any location for more than 72 hours. To report a 72-hour parking violation, please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 209-552-2468 or CHP at 209-545-7440.

“Abandoned vehicle” includes the following:

  1. “Public nuisance vehicle” means any vehicle or parts thereof, that is abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative, that is left on public or private property, not including highways; and that creates a condition tending to reduce the value of private property, promotes blight and deterioration, invites plundering, creates fire hazards, constitutes an attractive nuisance endangering the health and safety of minors, harbors rodents and insects, or jeopardizes health, safety and general welfare.
  2. Abandoned Vehicle. A vehicle is “abandoned” if it is left on a highway, public property, or private property in such inoperable or neglected condition that the owner’s intention to relinquish all further rights or interests in it may be reasonably concluded. In reference to highways, “abandonment” is presumed to have occurred if a vehicle is left seventy-two hours or more on the highway, or is parked, resting or otherwise immobilized on any highway or public right-of-way; and lacks an engine, transmission, wheels, tires, doors, windshield, or any other part or equipment necessary to operate safely on the highway. Such vehicles are presumed to be a hazard to public health, safety and welfare and may be removed immediately upon discovery by a peace officer or other designated employee.
  3. “Wrecked vehicle” means any vehicle that is damaged to such an extent that it cannot be operated upon the highway. A vehicle which has been wrecked in a traffic accident, and which has been removed from the roadway to a storage facility, but which has not been claimed by its owner will not be considered an abandoned vehicle.
  4. “Dismantled vehicle” means any vehicle that is partially or wholly disassembled.
  5. “Inoperative vehicle” means any motor vehicle that cannot be removed under its own power.

All abandoned vehicles should be reported to County Code Enforcement at 209-525-6700 or submit a ticket.

No, the property owner is responsible to have any abandoned vehicles removed from their property. It is recommended that the property owner contact a local tow agency for assistance.

Vehicles may not be parked in any one location for more than 72 hours. To report a 72-hour parking violation, please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 209-552-2468 or CHP at 209-545-7440.

No, it is a violation of Stanislaus County Code to occupy a travel trailer or RV for living purposes in any location that is not a designated campground.


Yes you can! While we encourage all citizens to leave contact information with the department for any follow up questions, all information is kept confidential and is redacted from public records requests.

If you have received a Notice and Order to Abate, it is best to contact the Zoning Enforcement Officer who issued the notice. He/she can explain the process and why you were issued a violation in the first place. If you would still like to appeal the notice, you may request a hearing from the Nuisance Abatement Hearing Board.

Violations can be called in to the Department of Environmental Resources at 209-525-6700 or you can submit a ticket.

Yes, you can be cited for any days that the nuisance still exists on the property once the Notice and Order to Abate has expired. You will receive a $100 citation for the first offense, $200 for the second offense, and $400 for any subsequent offenses for the same violation within a one year timeframe.

Yard Sales

You may have up to two yard sales per year that exceed no more than three consecutive days of selling goods per yard sale.

No, Stanislaus County does not require registration for you to have a yard sale on your property.

Yard sales can run for no more than three consecutive days at a time.

Copyright © Stanislaus County, California 2023

Back to top