Frequently Asked Questions

The County Counsel provides legal advice to the Board of Supervisors, elected officials, and County of Stanislaus employees for matters related to the operation and management of the County. The County Counsel attorneys cannot provide legal advice to members of the public.

If you need a lawyer and do not have one you can call the Lawyer Referral Service operated by the Stanislaus County Bar Association at (209) 571-5727.

If you cannot afford a lawyer you may call the California Rural Legal Assistance at (209) 577-3811.

Claims for money are made by submitting a claim form to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, located at 1010 10th Street, Suite 6500, Modesto, California 95354, telephone (209) 525-4494. Blank forms are available from that office. The law regarding claims against public entities is complex and has relatively short deadlines. You should seek the services of an attorney for your own protection and you should present your claim without delay.

Once a claim has been presented it is administered by CEO Risk Management Division located at 1010 10th Street, Suite 5900, Modesto, California 95354, telephone (209) 525-5710.

The County Counsel is not the official custodian for any records of the County of Stanislaus. You should inquire directly at the county office or location where you believe the records are maintained.

Mr. Boze is the County Counsel and his name appears on all the documents filed by anyone in the office. The person most familiar with your case is usually the one who actually signed the document. That person's name appears beneath Mr. Boze's name at the top of the document and again beneath the signature itself. If you believe you must speak to someone concerning your matter, it is that person to whom you should speak.