Travel Preparation Checklist
The time before leaving on a trip can often be stressful. A major trip has many elements that require careful thought and planning. In addition to regular planning, several important actions can be taken in preparation for a trip:
- Prepare a medical kit.
This should contain household medications and bandages as well as any other medical prescriptions. Travelers should ensure that they have enough medical supplies to last for the duration of their trip.
- Be sure to familiarize yourself with the area you plan to visit.
If you are traveling to another country, be aware of any cultural and legal differences between that country and the U.S. Remember: when traveling abroad, you are subject to the laws of that country.
- Be aware of your passport status.
Be sure to apply for a passport in advance, or renew a passport that is about to expire.
- Be aware of your insurance policy with regard to travel.
It may be necessary to purchase additional travel insurance.
- Be sure to record an international telephone number for your bank.
If your money or credit cards are stolen, you will need to contact your bank to have it replaced as quickly as possible.
- If you intend to drive an automobile while driving in a foreign country.
Be sure to obtain an international driver's permit.
- Leave an itinerary with a close friend or relative at home.
In case of emergency, they may need to contact you.