Abandoned Vehicle Abatement
If you would like to report a vehicle that appears to be abandoned in unincorporated Stanislaus County on a public road or right-of-way, please submit a ticket or call 209-525-6700.
Public Vehicle Abatement
Stanislaus County Code Enforcement is authorized to remove vehicles from County rights-of-way that are considered abandoned. Per Stanislaus County Code, a vehicle is “abandoned” if it is left on a highway, public property, in such inoperable or neglected condition that the owner’s intention to relinquish all further rights or interests in it may be reasonably concluded. In reference to highways, “abandonment” is presumed to have occurred if a vehicle is left seventy-two hours or more on the highway, or is parked, resting or otherwise immobilized on any highway or public right-of-way; and lacks an engine, transmission, wheels, tires, doors, windshield, or any other part or equipment necessary to operate safely on the highway. An abandoned vehicle can also include wrecked, dismantled, inoperative, or public nuisance vehicles.
Note: Code Enforcement does not enforce parking and traffic laws and will not remove a vehicle solely for being parked in the same location for 72 hours. All requests including parking in excess of 72 hours, blocking a fire hydrant, blocking a driveway, etc. should be reported to the Stanislaus County Sheriff Office at 209-552-2468 or the California Highway Patrol at 209-545-7440.
- A complaint is received.
- A Code Enforcement employee investigates the complaint:
- If the vehicle cannot be located, the case is closed.
- If the vehicle does not meet criteria for abandonment, the case is closed.
- If the vehicle is located and meets the criteria for abandonment, Code Enforcement will locate the owner’s information and send a 10-day Notice of Intention to Abate.
- After the 10-day window, a follow up inspection is completed.
- If the vehicle has reached voluntary compliance by removal or repair, the case is closed.
- If the vehicle has not reached compliance, the vehicle may be towed.