Travel Health Advice
Before departing on a trip, travelers should be aware of any social or environmental factors that may impact their health while away. Common health risks that travelers should avoid include the following:
- Disease carrying insects.
- Exposure to cold and potential of hypothermia traveling by sea.
- Impure or contaminated water.
- Intestinal parasites.
- Excessive heat and humidity.
- Extreme altitudes for those with cardiovascular or pulmonary disease.
In the unfortunate event that Americans become ill while abroad, a consular officer may assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. However, if an American becomes ill while traveling, medical expenses are the responsibility of the traveler. If a person feels that he/she is at a high risk of becoming ill and a trip is necessary, it may be a benefit to purchase temporary traveler's medical insurance.