Every year, many students choose to spend several months or even a year studying in an abroad location. The experience can be a highly educational and exciting way to learn not only about academic subjects, but also a different language and culture.
Before students travel abroad, they should review the following suggestions to ease their transition and time spent in a foreign country:
- Apply for your passport and visa early.
These forms take some time to process.
- Be sure to familiarize yourself…
With the customs and culture of the country you plan to visit.
- Locate the nearest United States Embassy…
In the event of a crisis situation in a foreign country.
- Find out as much as possible…
About the school you will be attending and what types of classes it offers.
- Know the local laws.
While abroad, you are subject to the laws in that country.
- Be aware that thieves & pickpockets may target non-natives traveling in the country.
Protect your possessions.
- Avoid public demonstrations…
Especially in nations where anti–American sentiments might be prevalent.