What It Means To You In Your Private Life
Your Rights And Protections Under HIPAA
Since you are also patients of doctors and dentists and have health insurance, these rights apply to you!
- Right to receive a Notice of Privacy Practices - explains your privacy rights and how they intend to use and disclose your health information.
- Right to have your health information protected.
- Right to see and get copies of your health information - access.
- Right to have someone legally act on your behalf.
- Right to not sign an authorization to release protected health information.
- Right to request limits on who sees your protected health information.
- Right to know who sees your protected health information.
- Right to request an accounting of disclosures.
- Right to see your protected health information in private - confidential ways or places.
- Right to request amendments or supplements to your protected health information.
- Right to file a complaint. If you feel your rights and protections have been violated, please contact the County HIPAA Privacy Officer.
- Right to no retaliation or intimidation for filing a complaint.
- Right to stop the release of protected health information after you have said it is okay. You can change your mind.
If you have questions about the use or disclosure of protected health information please contact the County HIPAA Privacy Officer at 209-525-6532.
Stanislaus County remains committed to safeguarding patient privacy and follows the strictest privacy laws by which the County is governed.