How do I legally change my name? How do I add a parent to a birth record?

To legally change a name, or add, or change a parent on a birth record requires a court order. To add a parent does not always need a court order.  If the father is willing to sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity, no court order is required. For further information, contact the Stanislaus County Court Clerk at 209-558-6000 or your legal advisor.  Or go to their website: for information.