Transferring Ownership of Real Property
Although we cannot give legal advice, we can provide you with the requirements to make a document transferring ownership or real property acceptable for recording. The two most common documents used to transfer ownership are the Grant Deed or Quit Claim Deed. These forms are available at many Stanislaus area office supply stores.
When a document transferring ownership of real property is presented for recording we will look for the following information:
- Name(s) of the Grantor(s). Also known as the Seller(s), old owners
- Name(s) of the Grantee(s). Also known as the Buyer(s), new owners
- Description/identification of real property located in Stanislaus County, such as lot & tract
- Assessor's Parcel Number
- Documentary transfer tax declaration
- "When recorded mail to" address – listed in upper left hand corner of first page of document
- “Recording Requested by” – listed in upper left hand corner of first page of document
- Mailing address for future tax statements
- City where property located or Unincorporated specified
- Signature(s) of grantor(s)
- Signature(s) of grantor(s) acknowledged by a notary public
Additionally, a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (PCOR) must accompany the document. This report form is available free of charge from our office or the Stanislaus County Assessor by calling 209-525-6461. If this report is not presented at the time of recording, an additional recording fee will be assessed. For current fees click here.
If transfer tax is paid: Fees will include fees for recording the first page of the document, a fee for each additional page, a survey monument fee, and the full amount of transfer tax. For current fee amounts, click here. For information on transfer tax, click here.
If no transfer tax is paid: Fees will include fees for recording the first page of the document, a fee for each additional page, and a real estate prosecution fraud fee. For current fee amounts, click here.
If any part of the document is other than 8 1/2" x 11" an additional fee per page for each page of the document will be charged.
Mailing address information for the Clerk Recorder Office is located on the homepage. Use the below link to return to the homepage.