Untitled Document
Stanislaus County
Animal Services
Dog License Fees
  • Pet License Fees

Vaccinating and licensing your pet is the first step toward being a responsible pet owner and important to your pets overall health and safety. Each license tag has a unique number assigned to your animal alone. If a licensed animal is lost or taken to a shelter, Stanislaus Animal Services Agency can identify the owner by the tag number and contact the registered animal owner. Animals with licensing information are held in the shelter while the owners are contacted. Failure to license or renew your pet’s license could result in a $251 citation.

Family with Puppy

  1. When Do I License my Pet?
  2. What Do I Do to License my Pet?
  3. What are the Fees to License my Pet?
  4. Where to Purchase or Renew my Pet License?
  5. Moved, Given Away or Deceased Pets
  6. Replacement Tag
  7. City Limits Newman, Oakdale, Riverbank and Turlock
  8. License Application [PDF]

When Do I License my Pet?

California State Law and Stanislaus County Code Title 7 require every person who owns, possesses, harbors or controls any dog shall obtain a license before the dog reaches the age of five months.

Within thirty days after any unlicensed dog over the age of four months is acquired or brought into the county, its owner shall obtain a license. The owner shall provide a dog with a suitable collar or other device to which the license tag shall be attached. If the dog is licensed in another county, the license must be transferred to a Stanislaus County license within 30 days. We will honor up to one year of the presently valid license.


What Do I Do to License my Pet?

The following information must be provided before a License is issued:

  1. RABIES VACCINATION CERTIFICATE: Submit a copy of a valid rabies vaccination certificate that is issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian. If your dog's rabies shot is due to expire in less than 6 months, you will need to have your dog re-vaccinated prior to obtaining a license. The metal tag some veterinarians issue with the rabies shot is not a license.
  2. IF YOUR DOG IS SPAYED OR NEUTERED: In order to obtain a discounted license rate, submit a copy of the spay or neuter certificate issued by your veterinarian. The certificate should state a complete description of the dog and the date of the surgery.
  3. SENIOR CITIZEN DISCOUNT: Proof of age, if over 65.


What are the Fees to License my Pet?

You may purchase a Dog License for any number of years from 1 to 3 years. However, the Dog License expiration may not exceed the Rabies Vaccination expiration. Senior Citizens(age 65 or older) Receive a 50% Discount

Dog License Type Fee: 1 Year Fee: 2 Year Fee: 3 Year
Unaltered $150.00 $250.00 $350.00
Altered $12.00 $24.00 $36.00
Senior Fee:
$75.00 $125.00 $175.00
Senior Fee:
$6.00 $12.00 $18.00



Length of the License: Licenses may be purchased for one, two or three year periods, provided that the rabies vaccination is valid for the same period.   The dog license expiration MAY NOT exceed the rabies vaccination expiration.

Senior Citizen Discount: Senior Citizens (age 65 or older) Receive a 50% Discount.

Late Fee: The late fee for a license renewal is $12.00 if paid 30 days after the due date.

  • Licenses are not transferable, you will need to purchases a license in your own name.
  • There are limited exceptions for livestock working dogs, active AKC/UKC registered show dogs and service dogs.  Contact Stanislaus Animal Services Agency for more information.
  • Cat Licenses: Although the State of California does not require that your cat be licensed, getting a license for your cat is a good idea. A lost cat with a license tag has a much better chance of being reunited with his or her owner.


Where to Purchase or Renew my Pet License?

Mail payment to or pay in person at:
Stanislaus Animal Services Agency
3647 Cornucopia Way
Modesto, CA 95358

Make checks Payable to S.A.S.A.
PLEASE DO NOT mail cash

Renewal Postcards are mailed 30 to 45 days in advance of the License expiration date.  A 30-day grace period is given following the expiration date before a LATE FEE of $12.00 is due.

Stanislaus Animal Services Agency accepts Visa and MasterCard for payments made in person at the shelter.


Moved, Given Away or Deceased Pets

It is important that we have your most current address, phone number and status of your pet in our system.  If you move, change phone numbers or your pet has been given away or is now deceased please call our office at (209) 558-7387 option 0.  We will immediately update the information in your pet(s) records.

Replacement Tag

A new tag will NOT be issued for each license renewal. If a tag is lost, please request a replacement tag by mail or in person at:

Stanislaus Animal Services Agency
3647 Cornucopia Way
Modesto, CA 95358
(209)558-7387 option 0


City Limits Newman, Oakdale, Riverbank and Turlock

Citizens living in the city limits of Newman, Oakdale, Riverbank and Turlock will need to license their dog at their local Shelter.

For the City of Newman:
Contact the Newman Police Dept.
Newman Police Department
1200 Main Street
Newman CA 95360
Phone: (209)862-2902

For the City of Turlock:
Turlock Animal Control
801 S. Walnut
Turlock CA  95380
Phone: (209) 668-5550 x6301

For the City of Riverbank / Oakdale:
Oakdale Animal Control
9800 Liberini
Oakdale CA 95361
Phone: (209) 847-5625

© Copyright Stanislaus County all rights reserved